Volunteer opportunities at Karibuni support the Ndhiwa community, helping local people develop skills to enable them to work, set up their own businesses, and support their children through school.
In partnership with Team Kenya, Karibuni aims to alleviate the pressure of poverty by supporting projects that directly influence economic growth and educational progress within the Ndhiwa community. We believe that Western Kenya can and will be free from poverty, injustice and inequality, and we encourage and facilitate like-minded volunteers to share their knowledge and skills with us. By to volunteering at Karibuni during your Kenyan travels, you open yourself up to a unique and memorable experience and the opportunity to make a valuable contribution towards supporting the local people and environment. For more information about volunteering please contact us.
Our projects have been developed with Team Kenya to support educational and economic development and provide lasting benefits to the Ndhiwa community. We encourage our volunteers to share skills, knowledge and ideas in aid of our existing as well as potential activities and welcome your contribution.
- Sport. Football is a popular sport in Kenya with our boys’ and girls’ teams always looking for coaches and assistants.
- Teaching. English is the third language for most students but many subjects are studied and taught in English. Volunteers can take part in teaching, observing and assisting the teachers and students in class and in Homework Club.
- Environmental projects. Tree planting, tending greenhouses and helping install water tanks alongside community coordinators.
- Karibuni Eco-Cottages. Share your skills in hospitality, catering, customer service, sales, promotion, accountancy, business development and leadership.
- ‘Spotlight on Ndhiwa’ newsletter. Share your ideas and skills with locals, write an article, contribute photos and spread the word about visiting Karibuni.
- Teach Information and Communication Technology skills. Our staff, students and volunteers welcome the opportunity to enhance their basic skills in ICT.
- Share your knowledge. Do you have a professional skill that could be put to use in Ndhiwa? Please get in touch to see if we can arrange a volunteering opportunity for you.
About Team Kenya
Team Kenya was founded in 2008. It is a small international development charity run by volunteers in the UK. With a focus on education, empowerment and sustainable development. You can find out why on the Team Kenya website.
Team Kenya’s vision is for communities in Western Kenya to be free from poverty, injustice and inequality, where all have the opportunity to realise their potential. Team Kenya’s mission is to work with partners and stakeholders to empower local communities to achieve sustainable development, gender equality and the alleviation of poverty. Team Kenya’s strategic priorities are:
- Girls’ education
- Economic sustainability and food security
- Health, hygiene and nutrition for school children
- Rural girls’ safety and security
- Social justice and equality
- Accountability and effectiveness
For more information, visit the Team Kenya website.